2/13/09

~Feb 13th 2005, a Posthumous Ray charles wins 8 grammy Awards

Feb 13th 2005,

The late Ray Charles has topped this year's Grammy Awards by chalking up eight wins.

Charles scored his multiple successes with his duets album Genius Loves Company, which was recorded during the final months of his life.

He won album of the year, record of the year and best pop collaboration for his ballad with Norah Jones, Here We Go Again, as well as best pop album.




September 23, 1930 - Born Ray Charles Robinson in Albany, GA.
1937 - Living in Greenville, FL, is stricken with glaucoma, which results in blindness.
October, 1937 - Enrolls in Florida's State School for Deaf where he studies composition, classical piano, organ, trumpet, alto sax and clarinet.

1946 - Begins his professional career playing with local bands around Jacksonville, FL.
1948 - Moves to Seattle, WA and using the stage name R.C. Robinson, forms light jazz and blues combo The Maxim Trio.
1949 - Changes his professional name to Ray Charles and releases his first single, the self-penned "Confession." Several singles follow on the Swingtime Record label.



I never wanted to be famous. I only wanted to be great.
-Ray Charles

I was born with music inside me. Music was one of my parts. Like my ribs, my kidneys, my liver, my heart. Like my blood. It was a force already within me when I arrived on the scene. It was a necessity for me-like food or water.
-Ray Charles


Be Golden

No comments: